Skip to content
- Retained the presidential system of government as contained in the 1979 constitution.
- Greater prominence was accorded to the democratization and autonomy of the local government system.
- Legislative work to be on a part-time basis.
- The Constitution provided for a two-party system.
- Entrenched a minimum of school certificate as a qualification for any one aspiring for the office of the President, Senate, House of Representative, Governor and State Legislature.
- Also entrenched minimum ages of 35, 30, 25 as a requirement for the Presidency, Senate, Governorship, the House of Representatives and State Legislature respectively.
- Abuja the FCT would not be counted as a state.