PARTIES IN THE THIRD REPUBLIC (1985-1999) POLITICAL PARTIES FORMED BY GEN. IBB’S REGIME.
The plans to return Nigeria to civilian government actually necessitated the formation of two parties by IBB’s administration. The two parties formed were National Republican Convention (NRC) and Social Democratic Party (SDP).
AIMS/OBJECTIVES OF NRC
- To encourage and promote a free enterprise economy which will boost the ownership of businesses by Nigerians.
- To create employment opportunities.
- To foster opportunities for a political economy of highly competitive market.
AIMS/OBJECTIVES OF SDP
- To bridge the gap between the rich and the poor.
- To provide gainful employment to all Nigerians.
- To provide an equitable distribution of the nations resources.
- To build a self-reliant economy.