i. Life-coping skills ii. Manipulative skills iii. Intellectual skills iv. Communicative skills
v. Artistic skills.
Life-coping skills are natural and survival instincts or skills, which make an individual person adapt fittingly and adequately into the society in which he/she finds himself/herself.
Manipulative Skills are economic activities that involve handling objects with the hand, feet or other body parts.
It is the ability of a worker to handle an object with the appropriate control and speed movement required by that task.
Manipulative skills are basic to the development of sports skills and technical education such as (i) Welding and fabrication (ii) Auto mechanics, (iii) Woodwork and furniture making, (iv) Carpentry (v) Computer engineering, (vi) Photography (vii) Hairdressing (viii) Sewing, (ix) Mason/block laying, (x) Fashion designing, (xi) Field events, (xii) Construction/building, (xiii) Mining, (xiv) Manufacturing.
These are the critical, analytical, synthesizing and problem-solving skills, which make use of the brain as its driving force.
As the name implies, intellectual skill is the knowledge acquired through education, which is the pivot on which all other knowledge or skill rests.
Gains/Benefits of Intellectual Skills
- It provides the skills and knowledge needed in solving human problems.
- It validates the applicability of research findings.
- It also serves as a means of generating hypotheses for controlled laboratory research.
- It provides data showing the functional relationship between the teaching of skills and the accomplishment of tasks.
- It helps in identifying problems and providing solutions in performance terms.
- It offers an opportunity for the immediacy of information, application and series of designs which are not only efficient and practical, but verifiable.
These are acts of transmitting or transferring ideas, attitudes opinions, knowledge, information etc from one person Lo another and above all to the wider world. The transmission here could be by any of the following means: verbal, non-verbal or written form.
Artistic skills are borne out of the imaginative cognition, sensibilities and creative perception of the inner self of the person (artist involved) in expressing his ideas. Artistic skills could also stand to mean the ability and talent of writing stories, poetry and creating tine works of art like painting, drawing, sculpting, music composition, graphic designing etc, which are extraordinary and aesthetic in nature. The people that fall into this category are writers (authors), musicians, artists, sculptors, actors, actresses, graphic designers, comedians, painters etc.