1. The constitution defines the powers of the different organs of government and shows how each one should carry out its functions.
2. It states the fundamental principles, aspirations and objectives of the country.
3. It helps to protect the fundamental rights of the citizens.
4. It helps to prevent arbitrary rule by the leaders.
5. It explains the “dos” and “don’t” of the government to the citizens.
6. It specifies the system of government to be adopted whether the presidential or parliamentary, unitary or federal system of government.
7. It serves as a symbol of nationhood and sovereignty.
8. Constitution defines the basic organs of government, their powers and limitations.