The NSCD is a Para-military agency of the government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria that is commissioned to promote measures against threats and any form of attack or disaster against the nation and its citizenry.
1. Assists in the maintenance of peace and order and protection and rescuing of the civil population during the period of emergency.
2. Recommends to the minister the registration of private guard companies.
3. From time to time, inspect the premises of private guard companies, and their training facilities and approve the same if they are up to standard.
4. Supervises and monitors the activities of all private guard companies and keeps a register for that purpose.
5. Periodically organizes workshops and training courses for private guard companies and seal up any private guard company which operates without a valid license.
6. Maintains twenty-four-hour surveillance over infrastructure sites and projects for the federal, state and local governments.
7. Searches suspected premises and impounds items suspected to have been vandalized.