1. To nominate candidates for elective offices, campaign for them and if successful, assume the responsibility of governance.
2. To educate the electorate politically.
3. To help mobilize the electorate to come out en masse during the election.
4. To serve as a check on the excesses of the executive arm of government in a democratic setting.
5. To serve as a link between the government and the governed.
6. To help in providing social and welfare services to its citizenry.
7. To serve as a forum for national unity by uniting different ethnic and religious groups,
8. Political parties serve as a training ground for future political leaders.