About eight (8) Christian missions dominated Nigeria between 1842 and 1892 through the western part of the country.
However; the first among them was the Christian Missionary Society (C.M.S), which controlled the whole of Lagos, Abeokuta, Ibadan, and Ilesha. They equally had dominion over the Niger Delta, Calabar, and the Nigeria Valley in the 19th century.
However; in 1846, the Church of Scotland led by Hope Waddell came and concentrated on the Cress River Valley. By 1852, the Southern American Baptist founded missions in Lagos, Abeokuta and Ogbomosho respectively.
Moreover, in 1868, two Roman Catholic missions founded missions in Lagos, Abeokuta and Onitsha.
Furthermore, the Society of Holy Ghost Fathers was the highest mission among the Igbos while the Society of African Mission centered around Yoruba land.
Following the abolished slave trade, some of the freed slaves returned to their homes in Lagos, Abeokuta and Badagry by the 1830s.