THE ASSEMBLY OF HEADS OF STATE AND GOVERNMENT: This is the highest organ of the OAU and it comprises of all the heads of states and government of all member states or their accredited representatives.
- Discusses matters confronting African continent.
- Formulates the general policies of the OAU.
- Appoints Secretary-General of the organization.
- Admits new members into the organization.
- Gives approval to the amendment of the organization’s charter.
- Reviews the structure and functions of all organs and specialized agencies of the organization.