GENERAL ASSEMBLY: This organ of the UNO is made up of all member states of the organization. The General Assembly also consists of five representatives drawn from each member state.
FUNCTIONS OF GENERAL ASSEMBLY
- The body discusses matters relating to world peace and security.
- Decides the admission of new members.
- Considers and approves financial and budgetary arrangement of the organization.
- Appoints Secretary-General on the advice and recommendation of the Security Council.
- Elects Judges of International Court of Justice.
- Deals with international trusteeship system.
- Elects non-permanent members into the Security Council.
THE SECRETARIAT: The secretariat is the administrative headquarters of the UNO and located at New York, USA.
FUNCTIONS OF THE SECRETARIAT
- Handles all correspondence of the UNO.
- Performs the day-to-day administrative functions.
- Prepares the an1uai budget of the UNO.
- Prepares meeting agenda for the General Assembly.
- Keeps the files and documents of the various organs and agencies of the UNO.
- Provides information to member states on maters pertaining to the organization and its agencies.
- Executes the policy decisions of the UNO.