THE COUNCIL OF MINISTERS: As the second vital organ of the OAU, the council of ministers is made up of all the foreign Affairs ministers of member states.
FUNCTIONS OF COUNCIL OF MINISTERS
- Prepares agenda for the conferences of the Assembly of Heads of States and Government.
- Helps to enhance co-operation efforts of member states by coordinating all such efforts.
- Ensures the implementation of the decisions of the Assembly of Heads of State.
- Approves the organization’s budget.
Recommends the appointment of Secretary-General to the Assembly of Heads of states.
THE GENERAL SECRETARIAT: This is the administrative headquarter of the organization situated in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The Secretary-General, who is the Chief administrative officer of the organization, heads this organ.
FUNCTIONS OF THE SECRETARIAT
- Prepares the OAU budget.
- Keeps records, files & other correspondence of OAU.
- Prepares reports on general activities of the union.
- Carries out all administrative functions of the Union.
- Prepares meeting agenda of the council of ministers.
- Provides the technical and administrative know-how required by the specialized agencies of the OAU.