The NPS (Nigerian Prisons Service) is a government agency in Nigeria which operates prisons. The agency is headquartered in Abuja, and the comptroller-general control the agency. NPS functions are as follows:
1. Taking into lawful custody all those certified to be so kept by courts of competent jurisdiction.
2. Producing suspects in courts as and when due.
3. Identifying the causes of their anti-social dispositions.
4. Setting in motion, mechanisms for their treatment and training for eventual reintegration into society as normal law-abiding citizens on discharge.
5. Administer Prisons Farms and Industries for this purpose and in the process generate revenue for the government.