This is another government agency under the Federal Ministry of Health. Established by Decree No. 15 of 1993, the agency
is saddled with the responsibilities:
1. To regulate and control the manufacture, importation and exportation, advertisement, distribution, sale and use of processed and packaged foods, drugs, cosmetics, medical devices, chemicals and packaged water.
2. To eliminate the importation of counterfeit pharmaceuticals, food items and beverages into the country.
3. To exterminate the use, consumption and distribution of counterfeit drugs, foods, beverage products and the like.
4. To ensure that drugs and other food products are produced in compliance with quality standards.
5. To ensure that available medications and foods are safe and effective for ingestion and other uses.
6. To investigate the processing conditions of food products, drugs and cosmetics and test them to ascertain whether or not the products meet the required quality control standard or preconditions.
7. To arrest and prosecute people involved in the business of faking drugs and food products.
8. To approve the production of foods, beverages, cosmetics, drugs, packaged water etc. by issuing registration numbers to the products and certifying such products safe and healthy.
9. To confiscate and destroy fake drugs, foods and other related products.