1. Combustion – They burn in oxygen to form water and carbon (iv) oxide.
C2H6OH(aq) + 3O2(g) → 2CO2(g) + 3H2O(L)
2. It reacts with sodium or potassium to liberate hydrogen gas.
2Na(s) + 2C2H6OH(aq) → 2CH6ON(aq) + H2(g)
3. Oxidation – It is oxidized partially into alkanol and completely into ethanoic acid in the presence of oxidizing agent like KMnO4 or KCr2O7
C2H5OH(aq) → CH3CHO(g) + H2O(L)
CH2CHO(g) → CH3COOH(aq)
4. Esterification – It is the reaction between alkanol and alkanoic acid to form alkanoate and water.
C2H5OH(aq) + CH3COOH(aq) → CH3COOC2H5(aq)
5. Dehydration – It is dehydrated in the presence of Conc. H2SO4 at 1700c to form ethene.
CH2H5OH(aq) → C2H4(g)