- The structural imbalance of the federation.
- The regional orientation of its politics.
- The abolition of the four regions by General Aguiyi Ironsi on May 24th 1966 and the declaration of unitary state.
- The politicization of the army.
- The census controversy of 1962.
- The general election crisis of 1964 and that of western elections of 1965.
- The massive July and September killings of the lgbos in the North.
- The breakdown of the Aburi Accord.
- Ojukwu’s declaration of Eastern Nigeria as a sovereign State of Biafra on May 30th, 1967.
- The imposition of Gowon as the Head of State after the counter coup of 1966 instead of Brigadier Ogundipe.