- Kept the country united as an indivisible entity.
- Led to the creation of more states in the country.
- Led to adoption of a new constitution.
- Led to the introduction of a new revenue allocation formula.
- The war reduced the notion for secession by other ethnic groups or state in the country.
- Led to lost of lives and properties.
- The Nigerian Army was divided along ethnic living due to the war.
- The war led to abandonment of agriculture that consequently resulted to shortage of food.
- It depleted Nigeria’s foreign exchange reserves.