- Permanence: The civil service is a permanent government establishment, which ensures continuity.
- Political Neutrality: The civil service employees are not expected to play partisan politics while still in office.
- Impartiality: The civil service employees are expected to carry out their duties with maximum fairness without favour of any kind.
- Anonymity: The civil servants must serve without expectation of open praise or blame.
- Expertise: Civil servants are made up of highly qualified professionals and experienced-body of staff of various ranks, talents and training.
Merit system: The civil service commission is responsible for the discipline, recruitment and promotion of the servants. Recruitment and promotion of civil servants are based on merit.