1. It encourages bad rule and often leads to dictatorship. This system of political arrangement does not suit a country with diverse and different cultural backgrounds like Nigeria.
2. It leads to the victimization of people in the event of opposition.
3. It perpetuates bad leadership in office, as a change in government is usually difficult,
4. It can lead to the unpopularity of a regime.
5. One party system limits political education and as such does not favour a heterogeneous country like Nigeria.
6. It is undemocratic as it does not give room for people to make choices in their political careers and at the same time limits wider political representation.
7. Individual rights are not accommodated.
8. One party also does not respect public opinion hence press freedom is undermined and restricted.