AFRICA AS THE CENTERPIECE OF NIGERIA’S FOREIGN POLICY: This entails Nigeria’s move towards making African Affairs the bedrock of her foreign policy.
REASONS FOR THE ADOPTION OF AFRICAN AS THE CENTREPIECE OF NIGERIA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- To promote African unity and solidarity.
- To stamp out racial, colonial and neo-colonial influences in Africa.
- To establish diplomatic and friendly relations within all OAU member states and organizations.
- To encourage economic co-operation and self-reliance among African states.
- To create pan-African defense force.
- To defend the territorial integrity of the African continent in the global system.
- To protect Nigeria’s domestic interest.
IMPLEMENTATION OF THE CONCEPT OF AFRICA AS THE CENTREPIECE OF NIGERIA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Participation of Nigeria in many conflict resolutions in Africa e.g. peacekeeping troops like ECOMOG
- Nigeria’s financial and moral support to Zimbabwe freedom fighters.
- Nigeria’s relentless efforts over the freedom of Namibia and South Africa.
- Nigeria’s relentless efforts in establishing many diplomatic missions in Africa.
- Nigeria’s efforts in promoting and maintaining peace and friendly relations among African states.
- Nigeria’s efforts in promoting African unity.